Mason offers help and support for a variety of situations:
Offer a Helping Hand
If this is life-threatening, please contact campus police.
You may be the first to notice when a student needs help or be the first person a student turns to in a time of need.
Submit a referral if a student is:
- Inactive. Is inactive on a course Blackboard page, does not engage in class, or is unresponsive in virtual class meetings
- Absent. Is absent from two or more consecutive classes without contacting the instructor.
- Consistently missing assignments. Consistently fails to submit assignments on time or at all and does not respond to instructor follow-up.
- Receiving concerning grades. Earns a grade or score that deviates substantially from the class norm (this can be on any graded assignment).
- Seeming distressed. Shows signs of distress visually, via email, in conversation, or through assignments.
- Having known challenges. Is unable to be fully present/engaged in class or meetings due to temporary or ongoing medical, mental health, family, or technology concerns.
This list does not capture all signs, situations, or behaviors of concern.
Assistive Technology Initiative
Center for Culture, Equity, and Empowerment (CCEE)
Programs and services focused on advocacy and direct student support to strengthen equity and inclusion at George Mason University.
SUB I, Suite 2400
Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)
Provides individual and group counseling, workshops, and outreach programs.
SUB I, Rm 3129
Disability Services (DS)
Provides academic skills workshops, academic counseling as well as a tutoring directory.
SUB I, Rm 3129
Provides services to LGBTQ+ students and allies through advising, advocacy, counseling, referral, education, and training.
SUB I, Rm 2200
Mason Student Services Center
Provides an independent, informal, impartial, and confidential resource to help students resolve conflicts with the institution or its representatives while fostering an environment of respect, honesty, fairness, and integrity and to bolster a supportive working and learning climate at the University.
Buchanan Hall, Suite D170
The Patriot Pantry
Student Health Services
Provides quality health care, counseling, health education, and prevention services to Mason students and staff.
SUB I, Suite 2300
Student Support and Advocacy Center (SSAC)
Provides one-on-one support, interactive programming, and connects students to resources on and off campus. .
SUB I, Suite 3200